Table of Content
Manufacturer Packer Registration As Defined In Legal Metrology Law
The ministry of Consumer Affairs released LEGAL METROLOGY (PACKAGED COMMODITIES) RULES, 2011. The law states that every manufacturer or packer needs to follow certain regulations. As per the rules, every individual or organization or any company that wants to manufacture any commodity for sale need to make an application with a fee of five hundred rupees to the Director of Legal Metrology, Government of India or the Controller for the registration of his name and complete address. The application must contain the name of the applicant, the address of the place where the packaging of the commodity is done, name of the commodity.
Each application should be made:
- In a circumstance, if an applicant is pre-packing commodity on the date of commencement of these rules, within a period of ninety days from such commencement.
- In a circumstance, if an applicant who or which commenced pre-packing of any commodity after the commencement of the rules, within ninety days from the date on which he or it commences such pre-packing.
In addition to the above, if there is any change in the registration certificate, the importer has to pay a fee of rupees one hundred to the Director of Legal Metrology, Government of India, or Controller.
The Registering authority i, e the Director or Controller, can undertake the following steps:
- if the application is incomplete and return the same within seven working days from the date of receipt of application.
- if the application is complete in all aspects, registration of the applicant and grant of the registration to the manufacturer.
Few more points to keep in mind for manufacturer or packer registration
- The Director or Controller must maintain a register that is maintained personally by him for the purpose, the name and complete address of each manufacturer or packer who made the application for such registration under rule 27.
- The register maintained by the Director or Controller should be made public as mentioned in subrule (1).
If you want to know about manufacturer or packer registration, you can contact CliniExperts. Our team can guide in getting your manufacturer or packer registration.
- LEGAL METROLOGY (PACKAGED COMMODITIES) RULES, 2011.Available at: https://consumeraffairs.nic.in/sites/default/files/uploads/legal-metrology-acts-rules/8.pdf .Accessed on 25 th March, 2021